2012 LACONI-RASS Annual Meeting
Friday, July 27, 2012
Hinsdale Public Library Storytime Room
In attendance: Michaela Haberkern, Terry Ratoff, Julie Roberts, Pilar Shaker, Kathryn Sofianos, Claire Steiner, RoseAnn Vonesh, Debra Wordinger
I. The meeting was called to order at 2:35 p.m.
II. Officer’s Reports
a. President’s Report-Michaela Haberkern
- LACONI-RASS held four programs in 2011-2012: September 2011 How Libraries Beat Redbox and Netflix at the Glenview Public Library, November 2011 Chicago Underground Library at the Oak Park Public Library, February 2012 Creating Customer Experiences at Harold Washington Library Center, May 2012 Pritzker Military Library visit.
- Many, many thanks to Carol Roza, a longtime LACONI-RASS advisory board member and officer and our most recent treasurer. Carol resigned from the LACONI-RASS advisory board concurrent with her retirement from Chicago Public Library on June 30, 2012.
- Thanks also to Stacy Cisneros who is resigning from the LACONI-RASS advisory board in order to concentrate on her work with the Adult Reading Round Table.
- Thank you, Diane Srebro, who resigned from the LACONI-RASS advisory board earlier this year.
b. Treasurer’s Report-Michaela Haberkern
- Statement balance 4/30/12 $2904.40
- $1,500.00 was disbursed from the administrator’s section from members
- $1,165.00 was collected from program attendees
- $387.37 was expended on refreshments.
- $900.00 was expended on speaker fees.
- $314.06 was expended on promotions (Constant Contact). We are currently sharing an account with the new Technology section.
c. Secretary’s Report-no report
III. Election of New Officers
- All new officers volunteered to serve and were elected unanimously by all present.
- Pilar Shaker-President
- Kathryn Sofianos-Vice President/President Elect
- RoseAnn Vonesh-Treasurer
- Terry Ratoff-Secretary
IV. New Business
- The following programs were proposed for 2012-2013. Titles are tentative. Terry Ratoff as secretary will handle promotions with assistance as requested.
September 14th : Making the Most of Your Off-Desk Times
Glenwood-Lynwood Public Library
Pialr will organize speakers
Claire will be the library liaison and handle refreshments
November 9th : How Libraries are Helping Job Seekers
Skokie Public Library
Claire and Terry will recruit speakers
Terry will be the library liaison and handle refreshments
February 22: Collaborative Makerspace program with Technology section
Harold Washington Library Center
Pilar will organize a speaker and will ask for help with booking the room and refreshments
May 3rd, 10th: Library, Archive, Museum visit
Poetry Foundation, U of C Mansueto Library, The Pumping Station (a makerspace), Workshop 88 (a hackerspace) were all discussed. The group will be in communication closer to time to decide.
V. Old Business
- Michaela suggested that the new officers consider revising the bylaws, which still have reference to long-defunct library systems and outmoded tasks.
VI. The meeting was adjourned at 3:45 p.m.
LACONI-RASS Planning Meeting
June 23, 2011
Hinsdale Public Library
In attendance : Michaela Haberkern, Pilar Shaker, RoseAnn Vonesh, Kathryn Sofianos, and Terri Ratoff. Carol Roza, Julie Roberts, Stacey Cisneros, Jill Franklin, and Diane Srebro were unable to attend.
Leigh Tarullo of Oak Park Public Library has volunteered to join the board but was unable to attend.
September 16: Debbie Wordinger from Indian Prairie Public Library submitted a program proposal on the topic of film advisory and the group accepted. Venue: Glenview Public Library if available. Michaela will work with the presenter and the library; Pilar and Terry will handle refreshments; Terry will be the registrar for the event.
November 4: Pilar proposed we work with the Chicago Underground Library. Venue: Oak Park Public Library. Pilar will work with the speaker; RoseAnn will handle the arrangements at the library; Kathryn will manage refreshments; Michaela will be the registrar.
February 3 or 24: a customer service program, perhaps a panel discussion featuring representatives from Trader Joe’s, Nordstroms, Whole Foods, Disney. Venue: Harold Washington Library Center. Kathryn will arrange for the speakers; Carol will reserve the room and do the refreshments; we still need a volunteer for registration.
May 11 (tentative): a visit to the Pritzker Library or the Newberry. Leigh will work on this with RoseAnn.
We discussed the need for a good evaluation for our programs; Terry Ratoff volunteered to work on that.
Laconi Officer’s Meeting (all sections), is scheduled for Thursday, August 18, at 10:00am at the Helen Plum Memorial Library.
LACONI-RASS Planning Meeting
June 16, 2010
Hinsdale Public Library
Attendees: Toby Greenwalt, Michaela Haberkern, Julie A. Roberts, Carol Roza, Pilar Garcia Shaker, and RoseAnn Vonesh. Stacey Cisneros, Jill Franklin, and Diane Srebro were unable to attend.
Michaela introduced Pilar Garcia Shaker, who is a reference librarian at Hinsdale Public Library, and a new member of the Board.
Election of Officers: The Board for 2010-2011 is now: Michaela Haberkern – President, open-VP & President Elect, Carol Roza – Treasurer, and Julie A. Roberts – Secretary.
September : a panel of discussing “Dewey and Beyond” or ”Dewey or not?” Michaela and RoseAnn will contact possible speakers. Venue: Oak Park Public Library.
November: Jennifer Babcock from Trump Entertainment, at the Gail Borden Public Library in Elgin. Pilar and Julie are working on this.
February: ebooks and copyright at the Harold Washington Library Center. Toby and Carol are working on this.
May: a visit to the Chicago History Museum, tentative. Carol will follow up on this.
Michaela brought up some new changes, as discussed at the Laconi officer’s meeting on Friday, March 5, 2010 at the Glenwood-Lynwood Public Library:
- LACONI (all sections) is now offering Continuing Professional Development Units (CPDU). Info is on the website.
- A uniform pricing structure for programs was decided. Half-day programs will be $15 for members with lunch at their own expense. Non-members and “at the door” registrations will be $25. Full-day programs will be $30 for members and $40 for non-members and “at the door.” Full-day programs will include lunch in the fee. If a section chooses to coordinate lunch for a half-day program the cost will be passed on to participants as a fee in addition to the $15/25 standard fee. There may be further discussion of this.
- All sections will also do 4 programs a year, instead of 3.
Michaela and RoseAnn will work on updating program checklist information.
Michaela got a 60 day trial of Constant Contact, an electronic notification system that we may use for membership emails and program registrations, along with surveys. It is $30 for a year. We also are considering just going with electronic notification and stopping paper flyers/mailings.
Laconi Officer’s Meeting (all sections), is scheduled for Friday, August 6, at 10:00am at the Downer’s Grove Public Library.
Submitted by Julie A. Roberts, Secretary